2007: Water security conference
“Water Security – does Europe have a Strategy?”
On June 7th the EWP organised the second European Policy Summit on Water: “Water Security – does Europe have a Strategy?”. This event again proved to be a big success with some 250 EU and national policymakers, NGOs and industry leaders engaged in high-level discussions on the challenges created by climate change and inadequate water management.
The Summit delivered some important results:
- Water Security has been put on the EU political agenda
- Awareness on the close connection between water, energy and climate change has been strengthened.
- The EWP is committed to work on a new ‘water awareness’ needed to address current water scarcity challenges.
- The creation of an informal Issue Group on water within the European Parliament was announced: the Dolphin Group
- The WWC announced its request to the EWP to coordinate the European coordination for the fifth World Water Forum
Available for download: