REMINDER: Think tank meeting – “Europe and the Global Blue Economy: Oceans, New Frontier, Sustainable Use”
Nov 18th, 2011 |
On the 2nd of December 2011, the think tank meeting “Europe and the Global Blue Economy: Oceans, New Frontier, Sustainable Use” will take place at the Delors Building, Rue Belliard, Brussels, Room JDE63.
Oceans will be high on the Rio+20 and EU political agenda with issues as:
- Conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction, including the establishment of protected areas in the high seas. Leaders EU and now also G”77. Including a new agreement under the Montego Bay Convention
- Sustainable fishery and aquaculture
- Emerging opportunities, including renewable energy and biotechnology
- Growing concerns, including marine litter.
Oceans are a major ‘resource efficiency issue’ which concern major regions of the world. One major message to be delivered is that oceans are the new frontier, and that the international community should avoid replicating now at sea the wrong approaches developed in”land, and aim at resource efficiency from now.
Join the think tank meeting which will address :
- Which role for Europeans in shaping the ‘Blue Economy’ of the XXIst Century ?
- How to prepare Rio +20 ?
- What steps after Rio + 20 ?
The meeting will focus on Finance, Blue Growth, Integrated Maritime Planning, EU partnerships and will follow the Conference hosted by the Principality of Monaco on November 28”30, focused on three themes: Energy, Food security and Tourism.
For registration, please send an e”mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To consult the program, please click here.
Laboratory hosted by the European Economic and Social Committee
Facilitated by the Resource Efficiency Alliance
Sponsored by the European Commission, the European Water Partnership, the Greek Shipowners Organisation.